Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chapter 20 The Chief's Little Girl

Edwards Eternal Kiss
Chapter 20
The Chief's Little Girl
~x~x~x~BELLA~x~x~x~



"What time is it?" I asked taking a much-needed breath.
Edward purred in my ear, "Time for you to stop interrupting my dream."
His lips had not stopped for hours.
"I need to breathe Edward. Obviously you don't. Are you making up for all those years you didn't kiss?" I giggled.
He pulled my face to look at him. Every time he looks at me that way, I just freaking melt. I can actually feel what it is he is feeling. It's so weird. Nobody has ever looked at me like that. Ever.
"I am making up for lost time and you my dear have to be hungry. The sun is up can I either take you to breakfast or should…."
He stops speaking and moving and turns his head.
"Edward what is it?"
"A car is pulling onto the property." His body stiffens and his eyes widen. "Bella get dressed!"
He jumps out of bed and grabs my bag tossing it to me.
"Hurry!" He orders and runs to his closet and disappears.
I grab some jeans throw them on and before I get my bra fastened Edward runs back in and sits at the foot of the bed tying his shoes.
"Who is it?" I asked quickly pulling my tank top on over my head.
"I am not totally sure. But your name is on his mind and he is focused on the house. Are you expecting someone?" he asked.
"No."
"He is worried…Bella I think it's your father!"
"My what?" I screeched grabbing my sandals and pulling them on.
"What is he doing here? How did he know where to find me?"
Edward tosses me a brush and I yank it through my hair as I follow behind him down the stairs. Just as we hit the landing, he takes the brush throws it back up to the third floor and I gasp. "How do you do that?" I stood there shocked.
He smirked. "Come Kitten. I think I am about ready to be interrogated…just promise you will bail me out if I don't make it back." He chuckles.
"He has no jurisdiction here." I snort.
But seriously what the hell is he doing here!
"He is checking on you. It seems someone has informed him that your current job may not be safe."
"What? Who?"
The doorbell rings and Edward turns to look at me.
"How do I look?" he asks and I laugh when he suddenly shoves his hand under my shirt and presses it flat to my stomach.
"Like you have been fucking for the last day and a half." His hair is well…hell it always looks like that.
He scowled. "It's my hair right?" He tries to push it down and make it behave.
I would walk over and open the door but he is holding me there.
"Wait just a second more." He says flipping his hand over and moving to my side. His cool skin is making mine pebble.
"What are you doing?" I ask.
He smirks and lets me go so I can answer the door. "You'll see." He says cryptically.
I pull the door open and gape at him. He is in uniform…but why?
"Char….Dad. What on earth are you doing here?"
"Hello Bells is that any way to greet your father who hasn't seen you in six months?"
I immediately move forward to give him a half hug.
"No…I am sorry…I just am surprised. How did you know where to find me?"
"Jacob gave me the address." He said and his eyes narrowed to a point behind me. I knew Edward was standing there and I quickly turned and asked my father to come in.
"Gee dad come in."
Charlie stepped in. "Let me uh introduce you. Um…Mr. Edward Cullen this is my father Charles Swan. Chief Swan. Charlie…god I don't know what he wants to be called. Pick any one of those." I laugh nervously, and Edward steps up and reaches out to shake my fathers hand and my first instinct is to think how cold his hand will be before I grasp what Edward had just done.
That was utterly brilliant. I just stare at him and wonder how he has managed to keep his existence a secret. "It is a pleasure to meet you sir. Miss Swan, you're more than welcome to visit with your father anywhere in the house. I will just get out of your way." Edward says smiling. "Wait where are you going?" I ask. I don't want him to leave me.
"I am sure that your father doesn't need your boss hovering over you while he visits. Please make yourself comfortable there are soft drinks in the kitchen. Help yourself. I will just be upstairs Miss. Swan."
He turns and leaves before I can protest.
"Well…are you thirsty?" I ask. "No Bella. I really need to speak with you." He says his voice is low. "Well come into the office."
I lead Charlie to Edward's office and I sit behind my desk.
"What are you doing in Los Angeles?" I asked as he took a seat in front of me.
"Jacob called from San Diego. He voiced some concerns over your current place of employment." He says looking around.
"What the hell kind of concerns?" I asked stunned. I can't believe Jacob would sic my father on me.
"Uh Bella this is a very um expensive home." He mutters.
"Well duh! I work for a very wealthy man. What are you doing here?"
"I just came to make sure you are all right."
"Why wouldn't I be?" I scowl.
"When Jacob calls me up and tells me that your working for a rich man whom you seem to be unaware of how it is he became so rich well that is a red flag Bella." He glares at me.
"Since when do you care so much about me?" I asked incredulously.
His eyes widen. "I have always cared about you Bella. Just because you didn't live with me all the time doesn't mean I didn't worry about you."
"Well don't you think a phone call would have worked?" I asked.
"Yeah actually that would have if you had answered the damn thing!" his voice raised.
"Oh." I turned to pull my drawer open and pull out my purse. I pull it out flip it open and notice it is dead.
I turn it to show him. "Sorry forgot to plug it in. But couldn't you have called Jessica?" I asked.
He fidgets in his seat and blows off the question.
"So I just came by to see if you were really okay Bells. Don't hate me for it."
"I don't hate you. I am embarrassed. I am not a seventeen-year-old high school kid. This is my job."
"Exactly what do you do for this Cullen guy?"
"I am his personal assistant. I take care of things for the house. Whatever he needs as far as tasks that need to be done or planning events. Making travel arrangements, just stuff!" I can hear the frustration in my tone.
"Why do you not know how it is that he has become so wealthy?" he raises his brow and waits for my answer.
"It is none of my business. My business is to make Edward's life easier. That is what he pays me for."
He cocks his head to the side and smirks. "Do you call him Edward?"
Oops.
"Usually no. We are pretty professional but on occasion during a party he prefers that I call him Edward."
"Dad please tell me that you haven't been doing background checks on him." I whisper hoping to god Edward doesn't hear this but I am not an idiot. If he can hear a car three miles away, he can hear this entire conversation.
"Yes Bella when it comes to you, I will do whatever is in my power to make sure you are safe. Don't doubt that! Los Angeles is a big city and there are a lot of untrustworthy people in this town."
"Well Mr. Cullen is not one of them!" I scowl. "And furthermore Jacob didn't say anything to me about his concerns why would he get you all worked up?"
"I don't know really. I mean I did a background check on the guy and he is clean as can be. He moves a lot and sometimes disappears, but he lives off his investments. Nothing underhanded." He shakes his head.
"Dad I really love you but right now I really want to kill you for this!" I cross my hands over my chest and glare.
He chuckles obviously amused and it is then that I see Edward peer in. "I hate to interrupt but my sister brought lunch." He smiled at me. "Oh wow she didn't need to do that."
"Please go and fix yourselves something to eat. We are all actually going to dine out on the patio and you're both more than welcome to join us."
I stare at Edward in disbelief. What the hell is he thinking? They don't eat. Nor should they be out in the sun!
"Uh…sure…um Dad?" I look at my father and he nods his head up and down.
"I am kind of hungry those peanuts they give you on the plane don't really fill you up much."
I follow Edward down the hall to the kitchen and find that his siblings are all grabbing paper plates and putting sandwiches on them and grabbing a soda.
"Hey everyone." I say and they all turn. "Hey Bella."
"This here is my dad. Charlie Swan. He is uh…visiting." I mumbled. "That over there is Rosalie and the behemoth next to her is Emmett, this is Alice and Jasper."
They all greet him and make their way out to the patio, which I discover is encased in an awning with shades drawn down the sides to keep the sun out. I almost laugh but manage to keep it in.
"So I don't recognize the uniform where are you from Mr. Swan?" Jasper asks.
"A small town North of Seattle I am sure you have never heard of it a place called Forks."
Jasper nods. "So are you the only officer that patrols this small town called Forks?" He asks smirking.
Charlie laughs. "No. I have a few guys under me. I would not leave them unprotected."
I sit down next to Charlie and Edward sits right next to me. Far too close. I watch them as they each take a swallow of soda or a bite of sandwich and just gape at them.
"Jasper we should tell Esme and Carlisle about it they would probably like to check it out." She smiles sweetly at my father and says, "Our adoptive parents like to reside in smaller towns around the country. They move a lot and some times we move with them but now that we are getting older we like to venture out on our own." Her little voice sings.
"Well…what does your father do?" Charlie asked.
"He's a doctor."
"Well we have a tiny little hospital with the population of a little over three thousand people. I am sure your father prefers a larger town than that." He chuckles.
"No actually they really like the smaller towns in the pacific northwest. Right now, they are renovating a home in Jacksonville, Oregon. Ever heard of it?"
He shakes his head, "No cant say that I have."
I can feel Edward's eyes on me as I chew.
Could this be any more awkward?
"Hey I think I heard Bella say you were a sports fan?" Emmett asked.
"Yeah. I pretty much watch a little of everything."
"Well then you're the kind of man I would appreciate a little advice from."
Charlie's brow furrowed. "What kind of advice."
"Do you really pay attention to the cheerleaders if they are shaking their shit on TV or is it something you just don't really think about too much?"
"Emmett!" Rosalie slaps him.
"What I am getting a mans honest to god opinion here! I mean do we need a team of cheerleaders or not?"
Charlie looks at him wide eyed.
"Dad…Emmett and his family are trying to bring a football team to Los Angeles." I state.
Charlie looks at me as if I am insane.
"What?" I ask and he starts laughing. Full on belly bursting laughter and Edward chuckles next to me before he says, "She is serious sir we are working on it. We have a proposed site and are trying to get the city to approve the construction."
Charlie's mouth falls open and closes and then he asks, "Wow…Uh any idea what you plan on calling them?" He asked looking at Emmett.
Everyone's eyes shoot to me.
"What why are you all looking at me?"
Edward's voice was next to my ear, "I gave the privilege over to you."
"YOU WHAT?" I gaped at him. Was he serious?
"You were there Bella you convinced him to invest in it, don't you remember, if he did he would get to pick the name and for reasons I don't fully understand he told me he wanted you to be the one to choose."
"That's crazy! I don't know that much about football to pick out the name for a team as huge as Los Angeles…hell the only thing that comes to mind is the Cowboys. What the hell other names are out there?" I asked shocked.
Charlie chimes in and starts rattling off names. "49ers, Bengal's, Trojans, Rams, Raiders, Giants, Dolphins, Steelers…" he trails off.
"Wow…just wow." I stare down at my plate.
"I don't know Edward are you insane. I don't understand how they work. I mean why name a team the Steelers? I mean I get the Trojans and Raiders or even the Cowboys but is it like a certain reason why they have those names?
"Yes." Several voices spoke at the same time.
"You know what…no…I don't want this. I don't want to do it at all."
I got up and made my way into the house went to the kitchen and fought back the tears that were about to spill over.
Within seconds, Edward was there his arms wrapped around me and he whispered.
"I am sorry. I should have mentioned it. I didn't know it would upset you."
I turned around and just fell into his embrace.
"Bella your father suspects something is going on between us. He is seriously worried that I may be taking advantage of you. I want to go out there and tell him exactly how I feel about you." I pulled back and stared at him.
"Can I?"
"This is all new to us. Can't we keep it to ourselves for a little while?"
"Bella he is a cop. He sees things one way. The right way. He has his reservations about me. I don't want him to think otherwise where you are concerned. We need to talk about your friend Jacob but not now. Your father is coming." He said and he stepped away from me and pulled the fridge door open.
"Bells you alright?"
"Yeah just a little embarrassed. You know me dad I hate all things sports. Edward has agreed to pick the name. I don't really want to." I muttered rinsing off my plate while Charlie hands me his.
"Hell that should be an honor. You should reconsider it Bella really, maybe research some history about LA or something. Throw a bunch of ideas in a hat and pull one."
He chuckles drinking the last of his soda and placing the can on the counter.
"Thank you for lunch it was really good." He said reaching out to shake Edward's hand.
I see Edward stiffen up, give in, and do it.
"It was a pleasure meeting you Mr. Cullen; I think personally that my daughter is insane. She should be jumping up and down. I am going to let her get back to work now so…I will let myself out." He says as he hugs me and kisses me on the forehead. "You're leaving already?" I ask in surprise.
"Yep. Flight leaves in an hour, just enough time to get back to the airport with the way traffic is in this damn over populated metropolis!" he smiles and leaves me standing there.
What the hell?
~X~X~X~
"No Isabella. I said Leather."
"But…"
His brow rises up with the look of irritation in his expression.
I scowl and order the three outfits he has forced me into purchasing online.

The three outfits he has her buy.



After the strangest morning of my life was over and after my father left, Edward explained to me that Jacob gave him some idea that Edward shouldn't be trusted. I was going to hang him when I spoke to him again. He was still in San Diego but I still called and left a voice mail telling him to call me ASAP.
I am always surprised how Edward's family can just disappear and reappear out of anywhere. It is a little unnerving.
"Where does your family go when they disappear? Do they live near here?"
"No they live with my parents. I am the only one that strays away from home. Their presence now though is because I have asked them to stick around since the party. I don't trust James and he will think twice about fucking with Emmett." He grins making me laugh. I begin to relax and that is when Edward insists we go to the office and place some orders.
"I already called Zafrina this morning…She was honored that you loved her invention. She is having one made up for you personally and it will be here next week."
I gape at him. "She designed that?"
"Yeah so she says. I was a little surprised myself. Yours my dear is going to be prettier and those are her words not mine." He smirked and nuzzled into my neck.
"Edward I am trying to work here. I never realized how much of a distraction you could be." He chuckled setting his chin on my shoulder.
"Ok where were we?"
"You have already spent far too much!" I muttered with disdain.
He points to the screen and says "I really like that one. My God." He growled deeply and demanded it as well.
"Wait, wait, wait, back up!" he snaps.
"Holy shit!" he then reaches over my shoulder and hits the quantity button and types in three.
"Why three?"
He has this huge heathen child grin on his face and he says, "I want to rip it off you."
My eyes widen and I feel the heat rise up my neck. "Oh god." I muttered under my breath.
"Can we checkout now?" I ask turning to look at him.
"Certainly…Total it up here is my credit card I want it tomorrow."
"Really? That would cost a fortune to ship all that overnight."
He snorts. "I can afford it Bella now do as I say or you will find yourself in the playroom." His voice is stern.
I glower at the screen. "Fine!"
The look he gives her when he is frustrated with her arguing.
"Watch that tone."
I turn and look at him. "You know we need some boundaries. I thought it was one day a week." I call him out on his attitude.
"Yes and you said you wanted to start exactly twenty one and a half hours ago. I still have a few hours left. Now…checkout and get your ass up to the playroom because I think it's time I introduce you to my belt." His voice is stern again. "You have ten minutes and since you have no leather you will be bare."
He gets up and disappears out of the room in a flash.
Arrogant Vampire.
Yeah it is a little irritating the way he can get so demanding but as I press in the credit card number I feel the excitement build up. I start rushing through it hoping he is going to be in those jeans again.
When I enter, he is still fully dressed.
I frown as I make my way to stand in front of him and hear him hiss.
"Alright Isabella since we have a couple of hours left I think it is time to reflect on the events of the evening we shared. You are one naughty girl. You're also very responsive and so wet at any given time, however, my dear you have a little bit of problem with the attitude. If I want to get you something you are to accept it without any grief is that understood?"
"Yes…..shit."
"You see this?" he asks pointing to what I know is a whipping bench.
"Oh so now your following orders?" he scowls and I hear the irritation in his tone.
"There is no way your ass is ready for a strap but I know if I used one you would learn a hell of a lot quicker. Since this will be your first punishment, I will go easy. You get three smacks on each cheek with my bare hand. Climb up and straddle my bench Miss Swan, lie face down."
I do as he asks and straddle the cold leather. It feels cool on my heated skin.
He comes around buckles a leather cuff to each wrist and tells me to put my hands up and he snaps a metal hook to the ring on the cuff then me moves to do the other side.
He leans down and whispers in my ear, "This will keep you from trying to block each slap."
Uh…gee that don't sound like fun….suddenly I am seriously close to safe wording.
Do I want to disappoint him? No I don't. I am a big girl, I can take it like a big girl, and maybe just maybe I can convince him to let me touch him after. I can do this.
I hear him behind me and he groans out. "You make this so very difficult for me to do love."
He pauses and I hear him inhale.
"Count."
I am not sure what scared me more. The sting or the sound that reverberated the room of his hard skin hitting my soft skin.
"One."
Yes, it stings. He is not at all hitting me as hard as he could.
Smack!
"Two."
Smack!
"Three."
He moves and yes, I can feel the heat on my cheek.
Smack!
"Four."
Smack!
"Five!"
SMACK!
"Ow….six…"
Then I feel cold hands rubbing my cheeks.
"You did so good Kitten." At vampire speed, I am no longer cuffed to the bench and I am lying in his bed. He is shirtless and frantic.
"I need to have my lips on you. God I missed this sweet mouth." He groans out and I reach up, weave my fingers into his hair, and bring my legs up to wrap them around his hips as he hovers over me.
Our tongues are frantically moving to seek out one another. He lets me come up for air and his eyes gaze into mine.
"Why?" his velvet voice is but a whisper.
I look at him puzzled.
"Why what?"
"Why me Bella?" his brow furrows and he looks at me with the most curious innocent expression.
"What has you drawn to me? Why do you let me do this to you? Why are you even here with me?"
I smile up at him.
"While you say my blood sings for you…I think your soul sings for me. It pulls me to you and I feel safe when I am near you."
"You do?"
I nod and his eyes warm and lighten. "See that look right there tells me every worry that I have doesn't matter when you look at me like that."
He sucks in his bottom lip and he just stares at me.
"Are you trying to tease me with that?" I reach out and tug it out from his teeth.
He smiles sheepishly. "I can't help it. You make me want you and I feel like I am crushing you. Pushing you too much."
"Edward. I want to ask you something."
"Anything."
"I want to touch you." A small smile plays on his lips and he moves in to kiss me along my neck. "Do you now?" His voice melts me underneath him.
"Yes." I breathe out. "I really, really, really want to."
"Hmm…that's a lot of really's Kitten." He hums in my ear.
"Please." I whisper and I grab his face and make him look into my eyes.
"I know you can see it in my eyes." I watch his eyes dilate and a low growl emanates from his chest, his nostrils flare and a hiss snaps out of his lips. In a flash, he is on the other side of the room and I can see the exaggerated breaths he is taking. "I have to…" he says in a raspy tone… "Just….just….give….I'll be back."
For the first time I see the vampire in Edward. His eyes are dark his teeth are bared and his muscles are straining against him. He shatters the patio door as he flies through it and leaps from the third floor. I am sitting up now the light breeze blows in the drapes.
What the fuck just happened?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with Bella what the hell happened. Loved the shopping! Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Charlie just flew in like that to check up on Bella. Jake should have said something. Thank god Alice saved the day with the impromptu lunch . Emmett was perfect distracting Charlie with the football team talk. I actually wished Edward had the chance to tell Charlie about his feelings for Bella.
    Bella should name them the Los Angeles Lions.
    I can't believe he was keeping the exact time on when she said she would submit to him. He really has OCD. The punishment scene was too short, but still hot. I think it is to be expected that his control is tested, after all this is all very new to him too. Having the gift of reading peoples minds, he must have read thousands of times what it feels like to get a BJ and I bet he is intrigued to have Bella's hot mouth on him. No wonder he had get out of there before he attacked her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally hot shopping...charlies a bit overprotective though

    ReplyDelete